Wednesday 15 May 2013

Santas Village and lots of finishes

Hi everyone,
This week has been a busy one and very productive. Monday I joined in with a stitching group who come together to stitch samplers on the second Monday of the month, Tuesday I played around with some new linen and quilting fabric, Wedneday was a fabulous lunch with the girls at a favourite cafe called Cena and there is still 2 more days of this week to go. Lucky me.......

Santas Village is growing. I am currently 2 behind, but here are the current completed 4 ornaments.
Santas House,North Pole Post Office,
Poinsetta House, Mr Claus Cookie Shop
Country Cottage Needleworks
Only 8 more to go. Ekkkkkkk. I am considering having a shadow box made with 12 compartments in the shape of a christmas tree to display the finished 12 pieces. What do you think?  I am thinking they will get lost amongst the branches of a real tree.

Catherine Strickler of Indigo Rose has always been one of my favourite designers of all time. This week I managed to complete and finish 2 of her designs.

Indigo Rose, Needle holder
Just Cross Stitch magazine June 2002
the inside of the needle case
Inside holds wooden need cases
with 24,26,28 needles
Both pieces are stitched on 28 count Antique white linen using some threads from and English thread company, 21st Century yarns. There was some left over linen some I adapted the design and made up the mattress style pincushion. Then added a buttonhole loop and pearl bead as a closer for the needle holder. Great fun.

The second piece is another Indigo Rose that I bought from the USA as a kit on sale last year.
Indigo Rose, Bead Blanket Sampler
28 count linen, au ver a soie silks and
Mill Hill beads
Inside there is a rectangle of bead mat material so you can keep your beads from rolling away.The edge is finished with 2 colours of beads and makes a really nice finish to the edges.

There is one more finish but I will keep that one until we chat again.

Bye the bye Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe has released some fabulous new boutique hand dyed threads called the 1795 range. Lots of beautiful sampler style shades and the great thing is they come in 20 yard skeins. Click here and join in the fun to win 5 skeins or just enjoy the eye candy. I have used the thread before and I can happy recommend the quality.

Bye for now, happy stitching, Carol





5 comments:

  1. Wonderful ornaments. And your new finishes are lovely!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tatyana for your kind words. Love your new beaded scissor keepers.

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol,

    I really like the patterns for the Santa's Village and am trying to come up with how to display them. I've found them on one large piece of fabric, four to a row. Another thought is stitching them all in one long row. I like how you made them into ornaments but am wondering, what size count you used and how big the "final product" is?

    Beautiful work, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie, Thanks for the lovely comment.The linen was 35 count Permin by Wichelt which is very stiff and I stitched over one fabric thread which makes them between 3-4 inches. Hard work but very worth the effort. Happy stitching.
      I have added a post about the finishing of the ornaments today. Enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I looooove every single stitched piece of this post! Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete